Taft Public Library
[ THE CHALLENGE ] Convert a bunker-like 1950’s church into a new library that engages the surrounding community within tight budget limitations.
[ THE RESPONSE ] Sections of block were removed front and rear to connect the interior to the street and the conservation land behind. A new entry pavilion and elevator welcome patrons and provide full accessibility. Inside, the wood panelled circulation desk sweeps back to a new stairway connecting the levels.